Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2009

This Christmas I had noodles


With another festive season over I have come to the firm belief that Christmas is just not for me. This is the second year now that I’ve spent the day on my own, last year I was quite sick and decided that what I really wanted was peace and quiet, this year I did plan to spend it with my parents but they were firmly stranded in snow and ice, so once again, I ate what I wanted and watched what I wanted and eagerly waited for Doctor Who to go online, it was in short a great day.

The only hint of sadness I had was, that if my life goes as well as it should I might not be in Ireland next year,  if that is the case then I would have wanted to spend this year with them, but that was my only regret and it passed quicker than Christmas dinner.

This is not to say that Christmas this year was not different, my girlfriend has two kids and I did have the joy of watching them get ready for Christmas, it’s amazing the excitement that is radiated from children for what is a selfish act of getting as much gifts as possible, yes that is cynical but it’s the truth. However to see them happy, well nothing can really beat that, and if spending a fortune makes them happy then I guess it’s not so bad, I would love to criticise it but really in the end I was no different at their age.

I must also confess to getting some joy out of giving Colleen (gf) her gifts, i think i really am more into giving than receiving, its a strange victory when you get it right and your action made them smile but i can do that anytime of the year and that is far better because random acts of kindness are far better than forced hallmark ones.

So the year and decade has ended and I start anew with a few different goals in life, a few I’m carrying on from this year, like the desire to live somewhere warmer or to be more accurate to live in California, others I’ve got to think about a bit more and decide what I really want from life, but im not rushing into any choices, not just yet.

(I got a iPhone three weeks before Christmas, everything since is now pale in comparison)

No comments:

Post a Comment